Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Trouble in the Dark

Well, lets just say it wasn't the most successful night shooting I've ever had.

I had this idea to go  out and recreate a photo that I'd done a few years ago. It required rain and very wet trails, and it rained pretty hard today, so I thought it might work. Unfortunately, the trails were not wet enough for the picture. I hiked all the way up the mountain, getting soaking wet from plants on the side of the trail, only to find that the picture was not going to work.

So I tried just taking some other pictures on the same trail. The light was fading fast, and I couldn't get the position of the strobe quite right, but I gave it a fair go.

Speaking of the light set up, I was using two strobes. Both were backlights at full power. I was shooting up the trail that was pretty much a tunnel of plants, so the idea was to create a cool silhouette. I was alone, so I had to set the self timer and then run up to my bike. Lets just say it was a bit of a gamble to get the right timing. Eventually though, I got a shot I was okay with, so I called it a day and headed out.

First thing I did in Lr was to convert to b/w. It just really cleaned up the photo. Then I raised the highlights, whites, and blacks to give the right tonal range and also give a bit more detail to the shadows.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment