Sunday, July 27, 2014

Definitely Didn't Crash It

So, can you guess what kind of photo I have for tonight?

Yeah, little planet. Of course. It's just way too fun to fly the Phantom around at 500ft. :) The views of the islands are amazing up there. Like having your own airplane kinda...

Anyway, we went to two places on the north end of the island and did the standard thing we usually do for these. Fly up to 450ft, do three rounds of shots, then come back down. Nothing too fancy.

But I ran into some problems in post. First, noise. I had to pull a lot out of the raws, and I didn't do any noise reduction on them. Which made the jpegs very noisy. No good. So to fix that, I went back in and did noise reduction on the photos before I exported them to jpeg and into PTGui. Not that great still, but not bad. I think the lesson is to shoot right as the sun is setting so that you have the most compressed tonal range in nature, and don't have to fix it in post. That, or just set a manual exposure mode. I'll have to play around with the Phantom app and look for that...



So the second photo. Didn't work out so great...

The exposure difference between the light and the dark ground was much too great. The flare effect form the sun washed out the ground a lot, and when compositing in PTGui, everything is pretty flat and boring. I brought it back a bit in Lr with clarity and contrast upping, but it's still not great.

Going a bit further, I added a local adjustment of saturation and warming around the edges of the planet to add a little something to the sunset. This helped a lot I think. Finally, a bit of noise reduction and sharpening go a longgggg way.


Finally, I just threw in one layer of photos for a simple panoramic. Not that awesome because it's missing the bottom part of the lake and what not, but I still like it :)

Lessons learned. Need lens shade. Shoot right before and after sun goes down. Noise reduction is your friend. Get more sleep.



Edit: Got the ground in this one. Added local adjustments to the edges for vignettes and warming up.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment