Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ring Galaxy



So today I realized the my milky way photos could be a whole lot better if I would start thinking more about the exposure. I've been reading some articles about different night time rules, such as the 500 rule. Since it was all fresh in my head, I went out and shot some milky way pictures. There's also been a milky way panoramic I've wanted to do, so I got that out of the way as well :)

So for the rules. The 500 rule is for star trails. You take your focal length of your lens, then divided 500 by that. The dividend is your maximum exposure time with no star trails. So I was shooting with a 10mm (16mm on my 1/6 crop 7D), 500/16=31 ish. So about 30 seconds to be safe. Which is perfect, because that's the longest I can go with out using a manual shutter release. 

As for the rest of the settings. ISO1600 because I did a test and ISO800 was one stop too low. f2.8 because most open lens can get. 

I shot portrait pointed up at about 60 degrees. With the fisheye, I could see the ground and the top of the milky way, so I just took six shots from left to right. 

Here's my editing process.





See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment