Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Profile

Didn't think I'd be able to post tonight because a fiber optic cable was cut and so no internet or cell phones. But apparently my friend Cody has internet...so I'm posting from his house.

Since there was supposedly no internet or cell, we all decided to go play video games of course! No need to go enjoy nature or anything like that, more digital things!

Anyway, Cody's dad has this really awesome carving that he showed me. He thought it would be really cool for a picture, and I agreed. I thought it would make an amazing portrait practice thing or something.

At first I tried the portrait. It's basically just a scaled down person, so all the same lighting rules apply. My soft box is now essentially quadrupled in size, so it's increeeeedibly soft and amazing. I played around with lighting with that for a while, but then I decided I didn't really like how it was looking, and wanted to do something different. Something simpler.

Then I started experimenting with silhouettes. I put the soft box behind the carving to make a verrrryy white background. This is an easy way to make a silhouette because all your light is coming from the back. I then shot a little bit of an angle so that a little light spilled over onto the face. I just love how it turned out, I might even have to try this for some portraits.

For editing, I converted to b/w, upped the whites and highlights a looooot, and the clarity just a hair. Finally, I raised the blue channel in the highlights via the tone curve panel to add some cream look to the whites.



I'm a fan of simplicity in photos. Whatever is not needed shouldn't be there.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment