Monday, July 7, 2014

Prism

I've had this little prism since second grade. It came out of some binoculars that I broke or something like that. Anyway, the prism is super cool to look at, and I've tried taking some photos of it before. They haven't turned out that well though, so tonight I thought I'd try something a little different. 

Instead of shooting through the prism, I decided to make some cool light patterns with it! I shot in Tv mode (where camera controls aperture). I wasn't very concerned about my DoF because I was using a macro lens filter; I didn't want any blur from shake though, so I locked the shutter at 1/80. 

From there, I just experimented with different angles and combinations of focus and light. There are a couple cool ones of just the patterns of light, but my favorite is one of just the end of prism. It's a really cool triangle with bevels on the edges, and it's surrounded by some beautiful tonal gradients. The gradients were created by pulling different areas of light and dark really out of focus, so that they all blend together. 

For editing, I raised the highlights and whites a ton, and then did some local clarity adjustments to the prism. It was pretty flat, so the clarity added some pop back to it.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment