Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Window

I had a random idea tonight. I was sitting in the living room, wondering what I was going to do and I started to think about some of the abstract stuff I've done. Then I saw the blinds that were down over the window and got an idea!

I flipped the blinds down (they were rotated up, and I wanted them down so that light would be directed down instead of up), and then grabbed a strobe to run outside. I put the strobe right outside the window with and umbrella, and pointed it into the living room. 

I set the strobe to 1/4 power because I wasn't sure how much I'd need, especially with the umbrella and the blinds. As it turned out, I had to ramp up my aperture to f8 at ISO800 to get the correct exposure. I could have shot at f2 or something, but then my depth of field would be nill. Might try that next time though.... 

Anywho, I set my self timer and took a couple of shots of me sitting on the couch in front of the window. I didn't worry about correct exposure of me because the point was not getting a perfect portrait. 

The point was to get a creepy silhouette of me just out side the window pretending to be a zombie or something! I set my self timer to 17s to give me time to get outside, them just pretended to be a ---insert animal that sticks to windows---. It took a couple tries before I got something I liked. And even then I would like to spend more time with this to get it right. Just have to sleep tonight. 

For compositing, I just painted a big layer mask. Simply converted it to black and white after that and did some local adjustments. I upped the contrast on the shades and then raised the highlights on the lower part of the image. Finally, I lowered the clarity of the whole images to make it softer. 


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment