Sunday, June 15, 2014

Fun with Light Sabers

I had this random idea for a photo tonight; make Victor into a Jedi knight!

So I gathered all my gear and headed over to his place. First things first, we had to find him a light saber. A broom handle worked just fine.

Next was lighting, I knew I wanted to get a nice soft light from above, so I put a strobe gelled with an umbrella above the area we were shooting. Then, I put a strobe gelled green to *hopefully* make the green glow of his light saber. The positioning of the green light was a little hard, but we ended up with it also up in the air, but un modded. This green light turned to be the main key light, while the soft light was a rim and back light.

I shot at 1/160, f5.6 for DoF and ISO400. This was to get enough light mainly. The strobes too care of the stopping power.

We shot a bunch of photos of him leaning on his saber, but at the very end he did this flying kick that loooked way cooler, so we went on shooting that!

The original file obviously doesn't have a glowing saber in it, so I went into Ps and put that in. I painted in the center of the blade with a green brush, the duplicated that layer three times. To the first two layers, I added blurs to. This made the glow effect. One layer had more blur than the other, and this gave it that nice fall of. To the third layer, I gave it a color overlay of white, and then blurred it to. This layer mimicked the super bright center of the saber.

Then on to make the glow from the saber more believable since the green strobe wasn't in the right place.

I made a new layer, set it to overlay, and then painted in green at the very low opacity over where the glow would be on him. I kept the color out the shadows for the most part, or where the shadows would be. Natural light obviously doesn't fill in shadows, so it was more believable to not put any color in there!

Back in Lr, I added some blue to the shadows, and then green to the midtones. This just gave it a cooler tone and look to it that I liked. Purely a personal choice.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment