Wednesday, June 25, 2014

mmmmm Cookiessss

Finally took some pictures of my sisters cookies tonight. They were M&M cookies, other than that I know not of what went into them. Except for that they were amazing.

I went with a similar lighting set up as to what I've done before for food. I put a strobe down low on the left to created a nice big fill light using the box as a reflector. That was at 1/16 (?) power, maybe. I forget but it wasn't that much. The main light was a soft box at 1/128 power to the right of the cookies.

Arranging the cookies was a bit tricky at first, my sister and I couldn't figure  out a good way to lay everything out or what background to use. Eventually I settled on a bamboo mat to put the cookies on, and then I just made random patterns with the cookies until I got one I liked.

Victor came up with a cool idea too to stage the cookies in layers to create a 3D environment. There were cookies closer to the camera and then behind the main cookie to make sort of a cookie land, if you will. That one came out pretty well, but the one I like is of a mini cookie tower.

I really like to shoot portrait orientation for some reason, don't know why. So making a mini tower out of the cookies worked out perfectly for shooting portrait. I put a broken cookie in the middle of it to show the inside of the cookie. Because that's important in food photography...? I also really like symmetry in photography, so the portrait orientation with the tower and broken cookie just looks really nice to me.

For editing, I bumped up the highlights and whites with local adjustment and also with an across the board adjustment. That's it! Super simple.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment