Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pie Flavor!

Only it's not a pie. It's some other baked goodie that my sister made that I forgot the name of but it's awesome and delicious and I'm going to have to go get another piece I'll be right back.

Okay, back. Love run on sentences.

I wanted to do something different with the food tonight. My sister and I have done a lot with white backgrounds and what not, but I keep wanting to do something different. So today, we put a black background in.

For lighting, I put on strobe pointed straight up to turn the mat box the food was in into a giant soft box. Then I put a soft box on the other strobe and turned it into a directional soft light. This gave some depth and texture to the pie thing.

I shot at f16, 38mm, ISO250, and 1/100. I wanted lots of depth of field so that everything was in focus, and to do that I needed to use higher power on the strobes (1/8 and 1/64) as well as bumping the ISO a bit. Since the soft box strobe was so close, I didn't need that much power in it.

When I started shooting, I wasn't really sure what composition I was going for. Nothing was looking quite right. So I googled "pie" and got some ideas from images I saw there. One I liked was a long, skinny composition shot from directly over head.

The initial shot was obviously not the right aspect ratio, so in Lr that was the first thing I did. I had to make sure that the left and right balance was equal with the plate. The spacing had to be exact or the image would look off. I don't like the sideways cherry, but now there's nothing I can do about it without making that cherry look weird. So oh well.

The rest of the editing went really fast. Just upped the shadows a bit and that was it.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment