Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Long Night

After a very long day traveling and helping a family friend move, Victor and I went out to shoot some photos with Amber and Michelle. They are both dancers and we did some photos together last summer that turned out really well!

I had high hopes for the evening and night, with lots of plans and ideas for cool pictures. Of course though, they all went out the door as soon as we actually got to a location and tried to start shooting. Long story short, planning is essential.

The one photo I do like from tonight was not actually one we were trying to take! It's a test photo I think, but I still love it!

The idea behind the photo was to create this motion blur around each person while they were frozen by a strobe. Victor shined a couple flashlights at the dancers while they did their jump (? idk what to call it) to get some motion blur, and then at the hight of the jump I tripped the flash to freeze them.

Camera settings and power level would vary a lot depending on what you're doing, but I was at 2.6s, f5, ISO400. I had a strobe in an umbrella at 1/4 power, and on with a orange gel in the back on 1/16 power.

Once I started editing, I knew I wanted to make the image black and white. The light was awesome, so I really didn't do any tonal range correction. What I did do was add some blues and green to the image with split toning, and then add a lens flare in photo shop. I felt this added in some of the color that was lost with the b/w conversion, but not enough to make the photo not b/w.

There are a few things I don't like about the photo, like the Ugg boots and staring right at the camera, but for a test shot you can't ask for a lot. It's a pretty good representation of the evening.

Tomorrow night I'm definitely planning more and it'll turn out better!



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment