Thursday, June 19, 2014

Dancing in the Fog

Except there's no fog in this picture...those pictures are still too come. Just a sampler tonight.

So tonight was another big(ish) shoot with Michelle and Amber. This time we were much more coordinated and planned! Kinda... We first wanted to do sunset pictures, but then we discovered that we had missed sunset and that it was cloudy. So that didn't work.

But not all was lost! We went to the elementary school playground, and made our own sunset!

Theres's a giant white wall over there, and we used this as a background to light the crap heck out of using gelled strobes. I believe for tonight image, we used two 560s with maroon and orange gels on them. These two strobes were pointed at the wall at 1/16 power (maybe lower...) and they just colored
it like a sunset! I was shooting at 1/200 (no ambient light) f1.4 (for max light from the strobes) and ISO125 on my 50mm lens.

Since the back ground was  wall, I pulled the entire frame way out of focus to soften everything. This made the wall buttery smooth, and also made the dancers into lovely, rich, silhouettes with red outlines. Which I loved. And it meant I did not have to worry about focus because it was supposed to be horrible!  Perfect combo.

The image for tonight was actually another test image. I'm not sure what they were doing, but I was fiddling with my camera and looked up to see Michelle and Amber in what I thought was a really amazing pose. I quickly "tested my lighting" and got a photo of it. Luckily, they were both pretty much in the frame and at the right angles. Out of all the photos we did tonight, this one is possibly my favorite. I'm not really sure why, it's just one of the photos that feels right.

Editing was pretty simple, I brought the contrast, highlights, and whites up to make the background pop, and then brought the shadows down to make the silhouettes nice and dark. To make sure they were black, I just painted in them a bit with a darkening brush. I also cropped the image to be only them.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment