Saturday, June 21, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Today is my friends birthday (you know who you are), so I decided to make a Happy Birthday picture!

Originally I wanted to just light paint, but Victor and I are terrible at that so why not fire?

After setting my driveway on fire with gas and getting no where, we started experimenting with stuff like WD40 and PG2000. Didn't work...

Then we had the good idea of laying out paper towels in the shape of the words, then soaking them with gas. This was the ticket! FIREEEEE.

I shot them at 1/50, f4 and ISO100. This was pretty much just a guessing game, but it worked out well! Somehow got the perfect exposure for fire! Sometimes you just get lucky haha.

The one problem was that each letter was an individual picture...

Which was easily solved with the lighten blend mode in Ps! I did a bit of reworking with the stamp tool to reshape some of the letters, but not much. The trick with that is finding the right part of fire to use that blends with the letter you're working on. Make a new layer and work on that so that you don't make permanent changes to the original.

In Lr, I just corrected the perspective a bit and cropped it. That's all.


Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment