Saturday, June 7, 2014

Figure of Fire

Tonight will be a short post, need to get some sleep. And sadly no trip pictures yet, still working on those. It might take a bit...

But tonight I went to Mile's grad party, where they happened to have a giant bon fire going! Victor started to hit it with a big log and making epic sparks. I naturally was taking lots of pictures, and one of them looked like there was a figure outlined in the sparks!

When you shoot fire, it's all about figuring out how much blur you want. A shortish shutter speed, less than 1/100 but more than 1/8 will create a nice blur but still have some sharpness. If you really want to freeze fire, you must use above 1/400 or even higher depending on how intense the fire is. I used a shutter speed of 1/250, so it was right in the middle. Still got a little blur, but it was mostly sharp.

I had to use an ISO of 1600 though because it was so dark out. Unfortunate, but what can you do. My aperture could only go to f3.5, and that wasn't really bright enough.

As far as timing, I tend to shoot a little earlier than I would think I should. Usually there is some human lag, and so you'll end up taking the photo exactly when you mean to.

Editing this was a pretty simple matter. Upped the contrast a bit and the clarity, and that's pretty much it! Simple simple. A bit of noise reduction too.




See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment