Friday, June 6, 2014

Night Swinging

I'm back from the trip! It's been a long couple weeks, and I have lots and lots of photos to share! But not tonight. I'm still just sorting them, let along editing. I have a couple, but not enough for a post. Maybe soon though!

I do have something for tonight though! Victor, Maclin and I went out to the boat peoples house tonight, and did some light painting with Victor's swing out there. It's basically a rope swing, but you put your arms and chest thru a padded loop and then run. It's quite funny to watch, and I thought it'd be perfect for light painting.

We put a head lamp on Victor, and then he just went on the swing for the length of the exposure. It was quite entertaining to watch him fly around for a while. I chose to use a 10mm lens to capture most of the movement of the swing plus get the tree and grass in the frame. I really like how the 10mm distorts the world so much. Makes it look quite interesting. I liked shooting the swing at maybe 30 degrees. It gave it more depth than shooting it head on or perpendicular, although those angles may have been nice too.

I shot at 40 seconds at f2.8 and ISO400. This allowed me to get a lot of light and get proper exposure, while also getting a lot of light trails. Win win.

For eding, I took a brighter exposure and merged it with a darker one that had better light trails. This way, I got properly exposed grass and also the good light trails. A simple layer mask did the trick. In Lr, I raised the clarity, shadows, and saturation a bit to make the photo pop more. The sky and grass have so much color in them, and I wanted to make that more apparent.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment