Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sparky

Fire is freaking awesome. Lighters make fire. There for pictures of lighters.

Sparks are really hard to time. It's basically just pot shots every time.   The only  method that I found effective was to take the picture when you sparked the lighter and hope that the timing was right.

The settings I used were ISO1000, f8, and 1/640. This froze what was happening pretty well as well as providing an adequate depth of field. I wish I could have shot at an even more stopped down aperture, but there just wasn't enough light for that.

I used a 50mm lens with a macro filter on it to get closer in. I focused by moving the camera backward and forward to change my plane of focus. This method is much more effective that trying to turn the focus ring, as you can quickly tell what's sharp and whats not. If you need to recompose it's a breeze too, much quicker than recomposing and then focusing. Basically it just cuts out a step and a lot of hassle.

Editing was pretty quick. Raise the shadows, add some blues, raise the clarity, lower the highlights, and raise the shadows. The purpose of all this was to bring out the definition of what was going on and compressing the tonal range.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment