Wednesday, May 14, 2014

In the Quarries

I got off work a little early today, and so Victor, Maclin and I went out to the quarries for a few hours and swam. It was still really cold, and so we eventually went and got wet suits, but for a little while the sun was out it was okay. It seems that every year the quarries get a little bit colder, maybe it's just me though. I hope it's a hot summer. 

I brought my Gopro along today with the hopes of taking some under water photos. It's an older model and it doesn't take the best pictures, especially in semi murky water. I really want an underwater housing for my 7D....

Anyway, while I still was braving the water, I swam around near Maclin and tried to get some cool shots of him below the water line. Gopros are water proof, so I could get it pretty far down and not worry. Unfortunately, there is a lot of lag between when you take the picture and when it's actually recorded, so it was really a game of chance as to if I got the photos I wanted. 

Luckily, I got one that was pretty close! 


It's not bad, but it's not all that great either. The composition is good, but the tones and contrast isn't awesome. It's not that dramatic either. 

So first things first, get some light rays in there. I made a curves layer that brightened the whole image, then made a black layer mask and hid everything. Next, I painted in some white spots of different sizes on the layer mask and applied a big radial blur to them with the center in the upper right where the light source is. This made the big light rays that's you'd expect in water like this. I did this a few times with white spots, and a few times with black spots to break up the rays a bit. 

Then I brought the blacks down with a curves adjustment as well as adding some blue to the shadows and pumping up the greens. The whole image was a bit too warm and overwhelmingly green to begin with. Finally, I sharpened the image with a high pass filter. 


Looks much better than the original, right? More contrast and drama to it. It's summer to it had to looks like summer! 

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment