Thursday, May 8, 2014

Playing with wool

This is going to be a short post because I want to sleep.

Tonight I went out to the quarries with Victor, Maclin and Cody and did some light painting with fire! I've seen this done a bunch before but never done it myself. It was really just a big experiment to see how and if it'd work, and it turned out awesome!

We put some steel wool in a whisk, yes a cooking whisk, tied it to a cable and swung it around in circles. The steel wool burned and as bits melted off they got flung out and so it made a huge spark making/throwing machine.  Cody took it out to the middle of the quarries and swung it out over the water. It was probably very cold and he was a trooper to do that as well as get melting bits of metal fly around him. We got some awesome pictures from it!

My favorite from tonight was one I actually am not going to composite with other photos. It's a single image light painting, which is something I haven't done in a long time. I just like compositing things so this is different. But fun!

I shot at ISO250, f4.5 and 12 seconds to get this one. The exposure times were however long it took for Cody to swing the whisk and how long the wool inside kept burning. Sometimes that was 20+ seconds, and sometimes it was 5. I probably should have used a little more stopped down aperture to reduce the over exposure in the center of the image, but it's okay. Next time :)

To edit this, I added blue to the shadows on the tone curve, added red to the highlights, and upped the blacks on the tone curve. I applied some split toning with those colors as well, and added a vignette with the lens correction. And that's it.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment