Saturday, May 3, 2014

Finals

I'm done with school for this year...but my sister's not. muhahah. I took a photo tonight that captures what finals is to students. At least, that was the intention.

Finals means studying a lot, right? My sister and her friends apparently sit in the hall and study a lot, and they were doing that tonight. I brought out my photo gear and set up a little photo.

I wanted to make it looks like they were in this deep, dark, depressing hole of a hallway just studying for ever and ever. It had to be dark and the only light to be shinning down on them.

I took a strobe, put it on my tripod since I didn't have my light stand, then stuck it back in the hallway a bit behind them. The strobe had a really short rectangular cardboard snoot on it to focus the light just on them. I still got some spill on the walls, but not that much.

I shot at 1/125 at f6.5 to cut out most of the ambient light. I had to put the strobe to 1/4 power to compensate for the stopped down aperture and since I was backlighting things.

In Lr, I first cropped the image so that it would be nice and constrained. It had to feel tight or something like that, so the crop had to be tight.

I then converted it to b/w, raised the highlights a bit, and also the contrast up a bit. But the image was too busy, so I took an adjustment brush and darkened everything around them so it was just a super dark hallway with some lights and people. No more walls really. Finally, I brightened the lights with an adjustment brush.


Happy finals!

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment