Saturday, May 10, 2014

Orcas!

Victor and I went over to Orcas today to ride. There were a ton of people there and it was pretty unorganized, but we managed to get a few good runs in.

I brought a lot of my camera gear, but didn't use any of it until the very last run. We had time to stop at one jump. The light was fading and we had to run to catch a ferry boat. But we got two or three good shots. It's amazing how quickly you can pull something together with people that actually know what their doing.

Colin found a cool angle for the jump, and so I just stood up there and directed Colin and Victor with lighting placement and what not until we got it dialed, then Colin could just run up the hill and hit it a few times. No need to take a test shot, run and adjust, then run back and take another test shot. Three people helped a lot.

The lighting was pretty simple. We had one strobe down low at 1/8 power to add some under to bike, and then a strobe back to his right to mimic the setting sun. This strobe was at 1/4 power and gelled a bit orange to give that warm glow. I was shooting at 85mm, and I cropped the images a lot.

When cropping, you can have your framing however you want. It's a second chance, really. For this image, I tightened up a lot and made it so Colin was jumping from the lower right to the upper left of the frame. This made a path for the eye to follow.

With editing, I brought up the exposure, shadows and blacks a bit so the image wasn't so dark as looked more natural. I added a vignette and also a elliptical adjustment mask that gave a more orange glow to Colin in the air.

It's supposed to look like a golden ray is breaking through the trees and hitting him. I think it works for the most part, considering how fast we set everything up.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment