Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Magical Doorway

I was going to do a post from a boat call I went on today, but then I saw my awesome cool door way and changed my plans. The door was cracked open just enough to let some light out, and it just awesome.

I grabbed my camera and remote trigger, then headed out into the black abyss that is the hallway. To frame and focus I used live view. In dark conditions, if you can light just the area you need to focus on, then lock the focus, that's all you need. I almost never use Live View to shoot, but it's perfect for a lot of other uses.

My exposure settings were 30s, f7.1 and ISO100. I could have used a higher ISO and lower aperture to have a shorter shutter speed, but I wanted the depth of field and low noise that those two settings provide.

The problem I kept running into was that my body was blocking the light and making it boring. I dealt with this in two ways. Firstly, I turned my arm so that only my had was visible to the camera. Then, in Ps I made a gigantic light leak to make the crack completely white.

To do this, I made a selection and filled it with white, then made a white glow and blurred it. This gave it a great glow feel to it.

Back in Lr, I added a vignette and upped the contrast a bit.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment