Friday, May 2, 2014

On the Road

I left Bozeman today. It took me a whole day of packing and scrubbing a floor that would not seem to get clean. And battling Bozeman traffic (????), steaming cars, high speed night driving with sketchy semi trucks threatening to topple on me. And lots and lots of The Hobbit on audiobook :)

So all in all a pretty good day. And now I'm lounging in a hotel room in Spokane, editing photos and listening to music.

Who said traveling sucks and is boring?

In the traveling spirit, what better photo to take than one in a hotel room with a iPhone and editing on the iPhone to be completely over processed but still awesome!

In my room, I have possibly the weirdest, coolest, and most out of place curtains known to man. They look vaguely middle eastern or something, and yet they are in Spokane...

Anywho, when you look at the lamp straight on, perpendicular to the curtains, it makes a really cool depth plane things. Art is normally staged in depth, ie forground, middleground, background. I've noticed that I tend to over simplify my photos sometimes to just two or three planes. For the photo tonight, the lamp is on one plane, and the curtains form the second. It's a very compressed and constrained, as well as almost be symmetrical. I think this brings out the tension but also relaxation travel has. All you do is sit in a metal box all day....that happens to be moving along at 75+ MPH.

I used my iPhone, like I said, to take this one. I used a square crop, partially to emulate the "instagram" look and stick with the travel theme, but also because I like square crop.

Editing is Snapseed is pretty easy and straight forward. But you can just as easily complete over edit a photo in it with it's super power filters. I did my initial adjustments like exposure up, ambience up, structure up, sat up, contrast up.



Then I moved to the HDR something-er-other filter and applied just a hair of it to flatten out the tonal range just a bit. I still don't know about that decision, but I went with it so I have to stick with it.


Finally, I added a randomized retrolux filter and got this! Enjoy.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment