Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Weird Eye

I tried a couple different photo ideas tonight, but I eventually settled on doing another eye picture. I've done two before on the blog, so I knew this one had to be a bit different.

The first problem I ran into was focusing. I was trying to hold a macro filter way from the lens to make it more of a magnifying effect, but the auto focus just couldn't handle it and I spent 20 frustrating minutes with that.

I eventually gave up and just put the filter on the lens and did stuff that way. The camera could barely auto focus, and it took another 10 minutes to get a decent shot. I'm not completely happy with it, but it's good enough. Going for something different, right?

To help with the auto focus, I used my Maglite and shinned it right on my eye to make it nice and bright for the camera. This also made a cool spot light effect, so I switched off the strobe I was using and just used the light from the Maglite. I shot at 1/200, f4, and ISO100. I should have shot at a smaller fstop, but oh well.


In Lr, I didn't do much to this. I applied the Grandma's Lemonade filter and tweaked that a bit. Highlights, vibrance, contrast... that sort of thing.

I really like the edgy look of the photo, and how the focus leads your eye around. Using focus to lead the viewers eye is a very effective technique. We tend to look at things that are sharp, rather than things out of focus.


See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment