Thursday, April 24, 2014

Snow on a Road

Tonight I went out with Alex and Nick to do some awesome star trails! Except it was cloudy! and then it started snowing! So there were no star trails....but we got some cool pictures none the less.

We were kinda bummed at first that it was cloudy, but we pulled out my strobes and soon that was frown was turned upside down.

yeah....that was cheesy.

We set the strobes up in the back pointing in. It's kinda a back/cross light, that gives a nice rim light and highlights all the snow falling. I love doing this lighting when it's snowing or raining because of the cool effect it gives. You just really need to use a high power because most of your light is going through the translucent snow. I used 1/8 power on the strobes at f3.5 ISO320 and that got the job done. This is massive overexposure, but with backlighting it's actually about perfect.

Sometimes I'll add in a fill light from the front if you don't was pure cutouts, but I loved the look we were getting with the set up so I didn't this time.

In Lr, I pumped the clarity to bring out the little bits of snow that were lost with less mid tone contrast. I also raised the highlights to have the same effect. I wanted a super harsh, vivid look. I did't really like the look of the colors though, so I converted the image to b/w. Strobes tend to put out light very close to daylight temperature, and this doesn't always work out so well. I converted to b/w and then added red to the shadows and blue to the highlights. These colors work well together, and I think they really improve the look of the image. It gives it almost a surreal effect. Colors have a huge impact on a photo, and the decision you make with them goes a long way. Just the difference between a dark blue sky or a light blue sky can completely change the feel of an image.


This image is my favorite from the night. I love the symmetry of it, and the out of focus snow in the foreground. The head lamp seems to be flouting in space, almost as if he is a ghost figure. He just blends in with the background so well it's as if there's only floating cloths.

Well it's sleep time, so see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment