Thursday, April 24, 2014

Photoing a Photo

Last week I entered my dorm's art show. I printed a big panorama and framed it (thanks Mark for helping me with that). I thought it was pretty cool and I ended up getting third place, so not too bad. I just got the thing back a little while ago so I thought it might be cool to do a photo of it. It was definitely a challenge to light with the glass from the frame.

Next time I'll just remove the glass and make it easier on myself...

Lighting the was all about specular highlights and reflections. The glass will reflect back whatever it sees, so you have to make sure you can not see the strobes in the glass. The strobes have to be at low angles on either side to be sure you doing get the ugly highlights from them. I set the strobes to 1/32, which is pretty high power for the f5 f-stop I was using. This ensured that everything was very well it and bright. I cross lit with two strobes on either side of the frame.

To get the straight on angle. I placed the frame on the ground on top of a white mat board, and then stood on a chair to get really high up. I shot at 40mm on my zoom lens, which is really close to having no distortion.

To further get the angle right, I used live view and moved the camera right out over the frame. I couldn't get it perfect, but it's really close.

In Lr, I cropped the image down to the long, panoramic aspect ratio. The lens correction panel helped to get the image free of most any distortions.

There are a ton of little scratches in the glass, and so the image in the frame doesn't really look that look at all :/ I'll just have to remember to get rid of the glass next time.

As far as exposure adjustments go, I bumped the exposure up a bit but that's pretty much it. I did increase the saturation on the mat around the image to bring it closer to it's true, off white color. I also increased the exposure of the white mat around the frame because it was kinda an ugly grey before.

And that's pretty much it! It turned out to be simpler than I expected. I just really have to think about how I set everything up.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment