Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pictorialist

Not sure if I'm spelling this right, but I tried to do a picture that was pictorialist. The pictorialist movement was in the late 19th century and early 20th century. In a nutshell, it had a lot to do with atmospheric qualities and softness in the images. There's obviously a lot more to it than just that, but in a nutshell that's what the images look like. They're more about the "prints" and how they look, than it is about the subject matter.

So I was looking at my running shoes when I got the idea of doing a pictorialist picture. The shoes were just kinda sitting there...being shoes. I grabbed a strobe and grid and then hung it over the shoes to make a spotlight effect.

Camera setting were 1/200 to cut out any ambient light. I was at f2 and ISO100.

In Lr I raised the contrast a lot, lowered the clarity all the way, and added some grain to it. I also converted it to greyscale. I changed the luminosity of the blues and yellows to make the image even more contrasty.


So here we are. It's not quite a pictorialist in that it's not atmospheric or that diffused...but it's a modern take on it :)

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment