Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Snow and backlighting

It randomly started snowing really hard today, so I set off to get some backlit pictures. I haven't done these in a long time and I really have wanted to, so I figured I might as well use this opportunity to get some.

Since it was snowing really hard, I brought along a plastic bag to throw over my flash so that it wouldn't get soaking wet and fry it's self. I should really get a waterproof camera cover too...

To protect my camera, I leaned over it to keep snow off it, and only raised it up when I needed to actually take the picture. I had to be really quick at composing the shot.

To make it seem like night, and to get a strong backlight effect, I shot at 1/200 and f9 to really cut out any and all ambient light. The strobe was set to 1/8 power to compensate for the stopped down aperture, but since it was pointed right at the camera I didn't need that much power.

The photo for today was actually the very first shot I took. It was just a test shot, but I really like it. Madison is barely illuminated, but I love the mood it brings to the photo. It would have been cool to play around with more lighting placement. Putting the light on the side or up high could make some cool effects. Maybe next time.

In Lr, I raised the clarity and highlights a lot to get every last snow flake I could visible. You can see how hard it was snowing. I also raised the exposure a little on Madison so that she popped out a little more.


That's all for today, I may have to work in the morning, so I'm turning in early tonight. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment