Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fluffy Bunny

You're probably wondering why I've title this "Fuffy Bunny." It's the name of my iPod, of course. Why is it the name of my iPod? Because Devin Caplow Munro has awesome names for things. Ask him.

Anywho, you've probably guess what today's photo is of. Yeup, my iPod!

Sadly, it didn't really work out. I stubbled with the lighting, and I don't think I got it right. Nor the framing. I'll go through what I did, then what I'm going to do differently next time.

The set up is shown below. I had two strobes with soft boxes cross lighting and a white mat board acting as a backdrop and a reflector. To get the right color on the iPod, the long extra piece of mat board was needed to cast the specular highlight up onto the iPod. Without mat board, it's very very dark and boring. It might be interesting to do it with black mat board to give that dramatic lighting, as the only specular highlights would be from the strobes. Next time I suppose.


So what went wrong. The iPod is too flat. Way to flat. There's no strong cross lighting going on and no strong specular highlights on the sides of the iPod. I also was at way to high of an angle and it just looks wrong. Next time I'm going to crank up the power in the strobes to fix the lighting problem. As for the lighting, I might use a shorter piece of mat board and tilt it more to get that reflection of light on the iPod. I might try a longer lens too. If that doesn't work. I'm going to make another curved piece of mat board, cut a hole in it, and shoot through that. It'll be light a ring light except its a reflector.

Camera settings: f/6.3 (to compensate for the strobes at a close range) 1/8 sec (to get the screen lit OK) ISO100. Strobes at 1/128 power.

In Ps I cut out the three iPods and then put them on a white background. I then added the highlights on the screen and back by painting a gradient of white then masking out the areas I didn't want. To make the reflection, I duplicated the iPods, flipped them, corrected for a new perspective by lengthening one side, and then making a gradient layer mask for the fade.

All for tonight, see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment