Monday, March 24, 2014

Leap!

The Leap Motion controller thingy came out less than a year ago. I, of course, had pre-ordered it and was soooo excited when it finally arrived.

Annnd I've used it about four times since then.

The idea of the Leap is awesome, but as far as I know, they don't have any practical app integration for things I use. For gaming it's awesome, but I don't really game...

but I do take pictures! and so why not use it for a picture?

I set up the picture pretty much the same as my iPod picture. I had a bare strobe on the right side, and a soft box on the left. They were set to the same power, but the soft box cut out a stop of light, so it turned that strobe into a fill light. The white seamless background acted as a big soft box, which had even more fill.

I was shooting at f8 to get some depth of field, and also because the strobes were very bright.

The big problem that I ran into was the reflection of the white background in the black surface of the Leap. To fix this, I took a black piece of cloth and positioned that to reflect in the Leap. Problem gone.


Note: as usual, blogger has messed up the image. The white around the Leap is supposed to actually be white, I'm not sure why it doesn't show up as white right now.

Anywho, what did I do in Lr? Well, first I reduced noise and sharpened a bit. Then I painted in an adjustment brush around the Leap to increase the brightness and make the negative space actually white. And that's all I did to the image. It's pretty much how it looks in camera.

If I were to do this again, I would make sure to add in some light to make sure the white background was very very white while I was shooting the images. So that I wouldn't have to do it in post.

All for today, sadly no star pictures :( it's cloudy tonight. Maybe tomorrow! See you then!



No comments:

Post a Comment