Saturday, March 22, 2014

Can't Decide

Tonight was another fire making night. Jamie and I got the new creamer canon working, and had a bit of fun with it. We went through almost 50oz of coffee creamer and 8oz of gasoline :) 

We had taken a bunch of pictures just of fire, but there wasn't anything good going...so we grabbed our awesome stunt model and gave her a lollipop. And made her stand out in the cold while we shot fire next to her. 

And no we didn't set the roof on fire this time either. That's the one upside of making fire when it's below 0 outside. 

So the first photos I did were wide angle from low down, which didn't really work. Not very dramatic at all. The was too much extra space around the subject, and the fireball looked oh so small. 

I zooooommmed in a bit and tried a second time. Better, but not quite there.

On the last shot, I went all the way to 135mm and luckily got the model lined up with the fire ball exactly. I was shooting in drive mode, so I got about 5 pictures that I liked. And as it turned out, I couldn't even decide which one I like more. They all have just a slightly different feel, and I love them all. I'll post my favorite on this blog, and the rest will be on my Fb page. 


I just love how the fire good wrapped around and lit up her face. I am definitely going to start using fire more for lighting more. It just makes amazing effects. 

Camera settings: Drive mode, 1/400, f5.6, ISO320. 

Drive mode because fire burns fast and changes even faster. 1/400 to capture the fire and freeze it. f5.6 because that's the mode wide open aperture I could get at 135mm. ISO320 so that it was bright enough. 

In Lr, I applied Grandma's Lemonade preset...and that's it. I didn't feel like it really needed anything else. I might mess with it later, but for now it's good. 

Well that's all, see you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment