Thursday, March 27, 2014

Experiment

I went out to shoot some night shots tonight. I took just my camera and one strobe.

I spent the first couple minutes chasing an owl around campus. Which was awesome.

So when I got back on track with pictures, I found this cool section of vines on the side of a building. I set up the strobe to cross light it and make tons of contrast. The shot I got I kindaaaaaa liked. It was meh.


It has some cool contrast and lines and use of negative and positive space...butttt it just doesn't do it for me. Part of it are really cool, but other than that...

I played around with it in Ps and suddenly had the idea to invert the image. I did...and it sucked. Looked really bleh.

Except for the half on the right. That actually looked kind of cool. I cropped the left half out and suddenly I had an image I liked. It looks very abstract and pretty much what I wanted. The positive also looks pretty awesome, but the negative just looks so different.


I had to mess with the vignette a bit because as you can see, the sides of the image are very washed out and not to great. They are still not perfect, but I think it works with the image.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to make a luminosity mask and invert it to select the shadows and then CRUSH them. But I don't feel like it.

I really like this image, it's not very polished or anything. It's just so different from a lot of stuff I do, and yet it's very me.

For camera setting: 1/80, f1.4, ISO100. Strobe at 1/16 and a foot from the wall on the ground pointed at 30 degrees up.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment