Friday, September 5, 2014

Sun Glasses Mark-2

Why mark -2? Because I think I did it better the first time!

I got a new pair of glasses the other day, some LaZer photo chromatic ones for biking. They're awesome, and work really well.

I was doing some product shots with Alex, and so I pulled out the glasses and did a quick photo of them.

One hitch though, I did use the same white background I had with the last glasses photo. Which was unfortunate because it really made the photo.

My set up was way more complex than the original set up though. I had two flashes cross lighting the glasses at 1/32 power. Pretty low for shooting at f16, but this was really just to add in some highlights and edge lights. Then I had one strobe pointed back to turn the background completely white. This is where things started to go wrong.

I was also using a soft box directly above the glasses to provide super soft light on them. Same as last time.

So problems. First, I put the backlight flash in a place where the specular highlight of it showed up in the sunglasses. Which is unfortunate. Kind of distracting and annoying. :( I should have had the strobe farther back so that it was actually behind the glasses and just lit the background.

Next problem, as I mentioned at first. The light box I was using has pretty wrinkled cloth in it, so it was very distracting in the photo. Very wrinkly and uneven. I wanted a seamless white background, and that's not really what I got. Sad face.

And further, the glasses reflected all sorts of stuff going on, so that's no good either! I'll have to figure out a way to get rid of that...not quite sure how at the moment.

Editing helping things a bit, I upped the highlights, whites and shadows to help remove some of the wrinkles in the fabric. This also made the image just look cleaner, which was the look I was going for. Not perfect though.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment