Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lit by Reflection

Tonights photo is very, very similar to yesterday's photo. The evening light tonight was lovely, and our backyard just glows in the late afternoon. I mean literally, it glows. The golden light from the sun bounces off the side of the house and it basically becomes a giant soft box or reflector.

One of the windows caught the sunlight and painted this little bright spot on the fence tonight. It was this one area of sharp light in a sea of soft light, so of course I had to do something with it. I grabbed Nick and made him crouch down to be in the light. His face was lit by a combination of the reflected light from the window, and the super glow coming from the house.

Something really interesting happened. It made an almost shadowless, but still contrasty lighting scheme. Nicks face almost looks flat, but there is still depth on the edges of his head. It's really really similar to what a ring light would do.

I shot in Av mode at f1.4. This got me a super, super shallow depth of field, just his eye's were in focus, and only just. This choice was really just me playing around to see how it would look. I'm not sure if I like it, it might have been nicer if there was a bit more sharpness and definition. But oh well.

I also shot landscape, which is odd for me and portraits. Again, just to change things up a bit. It just felt like a landscape kind of shot, the fence behind stayed very horizontal, just Nick just on one side. The light spot on the fence still hold some weight on one side, so the photo is still balanced.

As for editing, I used exactly the same settings as yesterday for a base. Then I tweaked things just a bit, added some blues to the shadows and a bit a clarity. But that's it really. Same editing as yesterday.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment