Friday, September 19, 2014

mmmmmhumus

I think I have found my new favorite food, well maybe second favorite food after bananas. Still...I might have to have this food item for breakfast tomorrow because it is so yummy. So, so yummy. It's so good, I am actually saving it for later. I never, ever, ever do that with food. If I like it, it disappears. Unless it's so good it doesn't deserve to be eaten right away. It must be savored, saved, appreciated.

Hold on, I've got to go eat something real quick...

So, humus. Humus is delicious. With rice crackers, it's definitely my new favorite snack. I got some Sabra humus and rice crackers tonight (obviously), and thought they'd be good for a picture. As it turned out, they made a great product picture, and then an amazing snack afterword. 

I set up the shot in the light box thing. One strobe at 1/8 pointed behind the humus, and one strobe also at 1/8 pointed up and away in front of the humus. I shot for a bit with just a white background, but I wasn't really feeling it. It was too...cold. The humus is a warm food, I mean it's cold, but it feels like a warm food. The package has warm colors on it, and the white was just too frigid. 

We have some bamboo cutting boards, so I grabbed two of those and made a little mini backdrop. Perfect. The wood created a nice warm glow around the humus, and had some wonderful textures in it. I had to adjust the backlight so that it reflected off the white side of the light box instead of the wood. If it had been going off the wood, there would be too much of a reflection and hot spot on it. 

I was shooting at 1/200, f6.3 and ISO100. The only real important setting there is the f6.3. This provided a bright enough scene without having to crank the power of the flashes too much, but also it had a nice depth of field to focus the viewer on what was important. 

In editing, I upped the exposure on stop. This means I should have been shooting at ISO200 or cranked the power up on the strobes one stop. However, it could also just mean I was exposing for the shadows, and then developing for the highlights, like with analog photography. I'm not really sure how Lr adjusts exposure. Either way, I made it brighter in Lr. Then, I upped the whites and dropped the highlights just a bit to brighten the whites but not over blow them. I also upped the clarity a bit and the vibrance a lot. Colorssssssss. 

and a little vignette. 

For composition, I wanted the logo to be in the lower left, with the crackers on the right. Everything everything sort of points to the logo. There's still the little chip in the humus to temp you to just taste the humus. It's as if the picture is just ready to be eaten.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment