Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Experimentation

In the end, it's what makes life interesting, right? Playing around, messing with stuff and seeing what happens. I know I've said it a thousand times, but that's one of the best things about photography. Having to ability to recreate the world around you in all these crazy ways, just by using a camera! Mess with some settings and everything goes insane.

Tonight I had a picture all set and ready to go, but there was something about it I really didn't like. I'd done it really fast and wasn't too happy with it. So I wanted to do something different. Completely different.

On the 50mm went, all the way to f1.4, and out to the porch I went! No idea what was going to happen when I got there, but that's okay!

As I stood there, watching the cars go by.... well you can probably guess the rest.

If you can't, I'll give you a hint... my shutter speed was 3.5 seconds and the pan lock was open on the tripod.

What do bright lights make when they move through an image? What do cars have that are bright? Do cars move? Can the camera also move? What happens when you move the camera and the car moves?? Let's find out!!

So I sat there for a couple minutes just taking picture after picture of cars going past. I panned the camera to follow the car and just had no idea what I was going to come up with. So fun :)

Out of the pictures, some unexpected happened. I got a few with cars frozen. Not completely, but reasonably so. I just my panning skills are pretty good, because that's the only way I could see over a 3.5 second exposure of the car moving that you can get a frozen car. Looks cool though!

I love the light trails going everywhere. Both uniform and the very organic lights. You can see where the car was pointed at the camera, and where the headlights went out of the frame because the car was then parallel to the camera.

You can see the photo though, so I'll stop talking.

For editing, I upped the clarity a bunch and the vibrance. Then I added a very slight cooling of the lower half of the image by way of a gradient adjustment filter. I just really don't like that evil orange glow from street lights.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment