Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Rar it's a lightbulb

I'm really on the edge about posting this photo...I like it, but at the same time I really don't like it. It's clean but very busy somehow, I just can't put my finger on it.

The photo is of an outside light bulb, obviously turned on. It was raining out today, so there is some moisture on the glass around the light bulb, which makes for some interesting circles of confusion/bokeh effects. Not sure how much I like it....

But I do love the actual light bulb. The form of it twisting around itself, and the glow it creates is gorgeous. I'm really a fan of it.

To take the photo, I used my 50mm lens at f.4. I wanted to get just the bulb in focus, and try to blur out the glass and everything else. This helped clean up the photo a bit, and leave the bulb as the only point of focus.

To further isolate the bulb (also also properly expose it) I shot at 1/8000 at ISO250. I could have shot at 1/2000 at ISO100 (which I did later on), and have the same exposure with less noise. However, this shot was the one I like the most so I edited it.

Speaking of editing, first things first. Crop the sucker down to what I want. Which was almost a square image of just he bulb in blackness. I really wanted to isolate it. So I put an elliptical filter on it and darkened the outside of the frame to complete black. Then I raised the exposure on the bulb a bit, as well as the clarity. This just improved contrast on the bulb, really just aesthetic reasons.

Not much more to say... I'm considering doing something else for the blog tonight, but we will see. I like this photo, but I feel like it could be a lot better too.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment