Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Soft Bunny

As I was taking some mega awesome fall leaf color awesome rad photos in the backyard, I spied this little rabbit that was hanging out back there. It didn't seem to scared of me, so I quietly slipped back inside to get my tele lens. I only had my 50mm on at the time, and that's no sufficient.

I then proceeded to stalk the rabbit around the yard. I army crawled from the backdoor across the yard to get closer to the rabbit without scaring it. Luckily, it didn't give a flying carrot about me, it just happily munched away at the grass. It must be so used to human....

Anyway, there I was, stalking a rabbit. I was fully telephoto at 300mm, actually 480mm on my crop sensor 7D, and shooting in Av mode. I had my ISO at 500, f7.1, and the shutter was coming out to 1/40. Normally, with out stabilization, the image would be super, super blurry. Like totally unusable. But with stabilization, I got some pretty usable photos. Some were blurry, but I shot enough that there were some okay ones.

For framing, I just tried to get the head in the upper right third. Looking back, maybe including the ear would be nicer, but I think it's okay.

Editing was simple and complex at the same time. I first upped the clarity and contrast in Lr, as well as covering to b/w. Then I went into Ps and played around with some filters. I settled on one that was called rough pastel. This essentially blurred the image in a precise way, following the edges already in place. It created a really interesting effect, almost a soft glow kind of blur. I loved it. Except for around the eye. So I made two versions of the image, one with the blur and one without. Then I made a layer mask on the blurred version, which was on top of the original, and let the original eye go through.

Back in Lr, I upped the clarity a bit more, bad bad I know, reduced noise a bit, and added a vignette. Actually, a lot of vignette. I just love them on these kinds of photos. I also adjusted the tone curve a bit to darken the shadow/blacks a bit, and then lighten the whites just a hair. No pun intended.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment