Tuesday, September 2, 2014

New Sharp Objects

Anyone that rides knows what I mean. The little sharp things you put your feets on. I got some shiny new ones today, and I haven't done many product photos lately, so why not tonight?

I dragged out my light box (my sisters old one because I got her a new one for her birthday), and stuck the pedals in it. I wanted to use the ring light since I haven't used it in a while, and it's a fun toy. So I stuck a strobe in to light the inside a lot, then shot straight down with the ring light as a center key/fill. Since it's such a large light area, the shadows were really filled in a looked lovely.

I shot at 1/125, f3.5 and ISO100. The strobes were at 1/16 each I think, and very close to the pedals. The ring light takes about 2 stops of light, so I had to be pretty high in power for it.

Here's a quick photo of the set up so I'll make more sense. I had the camera just to the right of the ring light. The lens was actually touching the light.


As far as positioning the pedals.... I wanted the DMR logo and the Vault to both show, so I simply stacked them in such a way that was happening. Nothing to it :) Angles are nice, so they are both off tilt a bit and form lots of pretty shapes.

Dust. Once I got a good photo, I realized the pedals were covered with dust. Like covered. It was bad. So I cleaned them off and re did the photo. The resulting image was so much more clean than before. ;)

In editing, I raised the highlights and whites a lot, as well as the contrast. This just got the whites very white, and the blacks nice and inky. I raised the saturation of blues for the pins, and then dropped the yellows, oranges, and reds to get rid of those colors. Just helped clean up the photo a bit and remove distractions.

Before dust.



After no dust.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment