Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yum Yums Mark IV

I think it's the fourth, maybe it's more than that... yum yuma seems to be a popular title of mine.

Any way, when my dad was in town this weekend, I made some epic bars for hiking and just eating in general. Since I spent a lot of time this summer photographing things for my sister, I thought why not photograph my bars for a change!

The set up was a little different than what I've done in the past. In the light box, I had one strobe pointed back as usual, but then I had a soft box on the other side very close and pointed down at the bars. This gave a nice backlight, but also a nice soft light on one side of the bars. There's not much fill, just what's bouncing around in the box. But that's more enough to give detail to the shadows.

As far as the positioning went....I'm still not sure if I'm really happy with it...there's the banana and Nutella in the background, but it's too weighted on the right. At least that's what it feels like. But maybe it's just me. Also, the horizon is a bit skewed...grrr. But I like the bar positioning! Three things always works much better than just two or four. Even numbers don't look good.

Editing was minimal on this one, as is the common trend as of late. Jut a little clarity bump on everything but the bars, then a shadows lift. On the bars, I just toned the highlights down a bit. To get so that there was clarity up on everything but the bars, I raised the overall clarity, then did a local adjustment to bring down the clarity the same amount I raised it.

Gosh, I guess there's not much more to say...

Oh, I shot at 1/200, f10 (for greater depth of field), and ISO100. Lights were at 1/8 and 1/32.


Okay, so I chose another photo...I like it better with out the Nutella in the background, but otherwise it's exactly the same. Like, exactly the same edits and everything. However, this was shot at f16 for greater depth of field (you can tell more is in focus) and so the lights were both brought up one stop to compensate. A smaller aperture cuts out more light, and so you need to bring more in...obviously. I also cropped this one long a skinny, which I think really helps. I like odd aspect ratios like that.



As for the recipe:

3 banana
1/2 cup peanut butter and nutella
1/2 cup protein power or rice flour
1/2 cup dates
A bunch of chopped dates, flax seed, and chia seeds (as much as you want)
2 cups oats
A pot load of honey (add more for thicker consistency

Mix that all together in a bowl (I used a potato masher :D)

Spread in container of choice, and then top with more dates and seeds. Or if you're feeling crazy, put PB or Nutella on top too! Or jam...ohhh that's a good idea....hold on I need to go make something real quick...

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment