Monday, October 6, 2014

Blurry Face Person

I had this idea tonight...a portrait idea. I've tried something like this before I'm sure, but tonight I went a different direction with it.

When I shot the dancers this summer, we did a couple photos where I used motion blur in combination with strobes to create this recreation of motion. It made some really awesome effects, with this flow of color and silky cotton texture surrounding a frozen subject. I wanted to try that sort of thing tonight, except layer the motion on top of the subject. So technically, I'd just be blurring the crap out of my subject. But that's okay. :)

I made a little video for you guys of my process.



To re state, I shot at 5 seconds to get the blur, and f10 to get that shutter speed. If I had been at f2.8 or something like that, my shutter would have been too short and I wouldn't have enough blur. I played around with different levels of strobe lighting, but I found that I liked the low power setting. They froze the edges nicely, but left most of my face to be blended nicely with blur.

For editing, I upped the contrast and went to b/w. That's all. Upped the whites a bit too, but that falls under contrast.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment