Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Second Two Face

More playing with strobes tonight. I had some ideas of spreading out the motion blur more, and doing two frozen images on either side of the blur. Like someone moving from one position to another.

My first attempts didn't really prove to be what I wanted them to be. Kind of a washed out blurring thing, and then a lame ghost image. I quickly abandoned that in favor of doing something else.

Next, I tried doing in camera multiple exposures again. Same settings as last night, long exposure and then doing pops with the flash to make each exposure with in the overall exposure. If that makes sense? The background was very dark so there was nothing to fog or go over the exposure. Except for the other exposures. Which was what I was going for. I wanted to just stack exposures over exposures so that it becomes essentially double exposures.

I started doing that with just myself, trying different things like spinning around in a circle, moving back and forth, all that fun stuff. After doing that for a while, I decided that I needed some other people Doing it with just myself was cool and all, but it was just getting old really fast. There's only one face, so it just looks like a blurry picture more than what I was going for.

Then I got Nick and Jay out of the house and to stand in as subjects for me. I had Nick stand in one place, then I popped the strobe, then Jay moved in and I popped the strobe again. This made an exposure of each of them, layered on each other.

I upped the power of the strobe from yesterday to 1/16, and the aperture to f16. This made the ambient darker, higher aperture, but I compensated for this by upping the power of the strobe.

Editing was almost as simple as yesterday. I did goof up while shooting, and didn't look at my histogram again. The image was under exposed by two stops, so I had to correct that in Lr. I would have rather just upped the power in the strobe. I also upped the whites and the shadows.

You gotta love the goofy faces Nick and Jay made, and how wonderfully they blended to make possibly the weirdest portrait of all time.


See you tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment