Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Weird Lighting

Today's post is yet another sort of test photo you might say. I had an idea and I started experimenting around. The results were, well, interesting.

What I was going for was a photomontage/collage sort of deal. I would set the exposure to 30 seconds, and then selectively light areas of the scene with a strobe. I attached a grid to my 560 and a remote trigger so there would be a tight beam I could aim around. I had the strobe set to 1/128 power. I think on average I triggered the flash about 10 times each exposure.

In Ps, I layer two of the exposures to make the background a little more interesting. The sitter is entirely from one frame. Yes, it's not all that spectacular, but it let me figure out what I think I need to do next time to get the results I want.

I used the Cross Process 2 preset in Lr for this. Basically, that increases the highlights, added blue to the shadows, green to the highlights, and increases saturation of reds. It's a very interesting look that I think works for this photo. Kind of a contemporary film noir look.

So, what didn't work in this photo? From an artistic standpoint. everything worked perfectly of course. But what I was going for was not what I got. I wanted each piece of the photo to be slightly different and not fit together as a photo. Each body part wouldn't be in quite the right place, but it would still come together to look like a person. I'm forgetting the name of the artists that did this sort of work, but it's a photo college dealio as I said before.

What I'm going to do next time is to take a separate photo for each pop of the strobe. That way, I'll have control over the overlapping body parts and how they fit together. There won't be any of this weird ghost effect thing going on, unless I want it to. I am going to try that, and I am also going to try something else.

Instead of the camera staying still and the subject moving around, I might move the camera around for each shot and then composite all those photos together. This would give a much more abstract and spooky feel to the image, almost like a puzzle that doesn't quite fit together but you can see the image.

I'll try all that in the near future, but until then, see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment