Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rock

Had some fun today with a rock. Well, rather lighting a rock.

As usual, my original idea didn't actually happen, but something equally as cool did. My plan was to light everything red, and then put a blue spot light on the rock. Plus some light trails behind it all. But the red didn't light everything very well, so I ended up putting the strobe with the red gel behind the rock and back lighting it. The blue gelled strobe was still up above the rock. I used my phone's LED for the light trails.

The camera was set to 8 seconds, f7.1, and ISO100. I needed the long exposer to get the light trails in, and the higher aperture to made sure the light from the phone didn't burn in too much. I did splash some light from the phone on the rock just to give it some texture. 

In Lr, I raised the clarity a lot, especially on the rock. I upped the saturation a bit too. Other than that, that's an in camera image. 

There's a lot you can do with long exposers. Like the post I did yesterday and today, you can light different elements of the frame at different times, and use the motion of a light source to play with form and texture. Moving everything around makes things even more interesting. I might do some experiments with that sometime. Could be fun. 

See you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment