Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Lamp Form

Tonight is a mess around night for the blog. I have this desk lamp that has one of those bendy necks, so I decided to play around with it. I haven't done much in the way of form and texture photography on the blog yet, so I figured I should get a start.

For lighting the lamp. I used the light from the lamp itself, and my two strobes. One strobe had a grid on it, which I used to put on highlights on the neck of the lamp to provide some separation. The other light had a snoot on it to just light the head of the lamp. The rest is light from the lamp. The placement of the lights is pretty obvious from looking at the shadows (one left and one right).

The reason I used small, hard lights for this was to keep the background from becoming too lit. This would have made the lamp disappear and the image would be really flat. I might experiment with this later, but for tonight I didn't want that. I knew exactly where I wanted light, and so that's were the light went. Using the right mod can really make the difference in a photo. A soft box in place of a grid for example, would have been disastrously bright and ruined what I was going for.


There's no particular order or message to these pictures. Every piece of art seems to have some deeper meaning behind it or some message you should take away. I respect that and by no means should it not be like that, but I really appreciate photos for the sake of being photos. I liked how the lamp looks, so I took a picture of it.

For camera settings were 1/150, f2.2, and ISO100. 50mm prime lens.

In Lr, I converted to black and white, added some contrast and split toning as well. The shadows are blues and the highlights orange. Very, very slight. I didn't do much.

This turned into a short post today. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment