Thursday, November 20, 2014

Screen it again

Found yet another screen in the house...this one's for a window. Apparently we don't have enough screens...

I thought about doing an other product shot with this one, but decided to do a portrait instead.. My idea was to have the focus on the screen, and then the blurry image of me behind it. Might be cool, might not be. We'll see.

I set up one light, way up high and to the right. It sort of mimicked sunlight a little bit. Not quite as hard, but definitely contrasty. It was at 1/32 power, which is pretty high since I was shooting at f/2.2. But contrast is what I wanted. Exposing for the highlights makes the blacks really fade away, which can be nice. Not proper photography, but who cares?

I set the focus to manual, and then just experimented with different lengths. Not really any rhyme or reason, just what I thought might look good. Eventually, I settled on a very out of focus one, but that had a really cool grid pattern going on from the screen. Somehow, I had held the screen right in between myself and the camera at a distance that created the little cubes, but didn't show the actual screen. Pretty lucky.

Editing, I upped the contrast a lot, but then brought the blacks up a bit with the tone curve. I'm liking that weird muddy blacks style for a lot of photos. Maybe it's just a fad in photography that will pass. Even though I like it, I still feel like it's a bit of a cheat for a lame photo. I'm beginning to feel like the best photos are the ones that are interesting with out editing. If the edits become what's interesting about the photo, then that can be cool too, but if the edits are simply trying to fix a broken photo and trying to stay hidden at the same time...that's not very cool.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment