Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hi Hat

I (hopefully) finished shooting my final project today. There's one photo that I might have to redo...but I really hope not. I'd rather move on to other, more fun things.

On of my models today was Anne, and she brought this awesome hat. Apparently it's wool, and has some other really cool things about it that I can't remember right now. It's a pretty dang awesome hat though, and when we were done shooting, she asked if she could take a shadow puppet picture of it. Of course I said yes, and so we projected a white screen with the projector for her to make a shadow with. That was the only light source, the projector. I shot at f/8 and 1s at ISO100. Of course I was on a tripod.

Capturing the shadow was a little difficult. I had to be as close to Anne as possible without getting her in the frame and casting my shadow over hers. I ended up shooting right next to her, maybe a foot behind. I caught a little bit of her arm any my tripod, but it was easily edited out later.

Now I had a nice little silhouette. Kinda. It wasn't very contrasty, the whites were grey, and the blacks were gray. That needed to change. In Lr, I upped the contrast all the way, the whites all the way, and the blacks all the way down. There was no detail to capture, so I just wanted to get as much contrast as possible. I wanted only pure white and pure black.

In Ps, I took the picture of the mine in Butte, and over laid it on Anne. I turned it 90 degrees though, so that it was very abstract and confusing. To further the effect, I upped the contrast a little bit on just the mine layer, and also inverted it. Looks the same, but the exact opposite.

I considered putting in a mountain or something like that, but nothing I had really worked. Anne's silhouette is so slim, so a landscape doesn't fit. I could maybe put together one of those layers of the earth photos, but that would take more time than I have tonight.

Back in Lr, I did a few things. I further upped the contrast, but then toned down the whites just a bit. I added a vignette, and applied some split toning as well. Blue for the highlights, and red for the shadows. This is the opposite of what I usually do, but it really works for the picture.

I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to be, it is just a ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous. I need to make them every now and again, just so much fun to play around with every slider you can get the mouse on.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment