Saturday, November 1, 2014

Night on the Town

Tonight I went out to my usual place on Peat's Hill, and tried to get some cool pictures of the night scape of Bozeman. However, it was really, really windy, which kept shaking my lens and making blurry pictures :(

Which I didn't really realize until I got back to my room, and then it was too late. Must salvage picture! I really like what I got, except for the fact that it's not sharp at all.

Let's quick go over what picture I did get...that'd probably be good. I was shooting with my telephoto lens at 300mm (probably why it was so blurry, doesn't take much shake to blur with that length of lens) at the intersection of Kagy and Wilson, where there was lots of traffic. It was a 20 second exposure to get the light trails from the headlights. The road was positioned so that it cut the frame diagonally, which is a nicer composition than just dead on or right in the center. I could have probably shot at a higher aperture than f8, but I wanted some shadows detail, so I didn't. The light trails are over blown, but I think that works with the image. Especially after the change I made to it in post.

For basic editing, I left it completely alone. No adjustments at all. The only thing I did was to invert it! Nothing else. Inverting an image (in b/w images) means to take a tone valve, and replace it with the opposite. So black becomes white, and white becomes black. It's  exactly the same image, but you see it in a completely different way! Much more of an abstract view to it, and I really like it. Doesn't even matter that it's blurry! Perfect.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment