Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Fresh White

So it rained today. and then it poured. and then it sleeted. and then it snowed. and then it snowed some more, and some more, and some more. It's beginning to look look like a winter wonderland.

I was out and about all day, but when I got home the first thing I had to do was so shoot the fresh snow somewhere. But where? It's late at night, the roads are traitorous, yes I meant to say traitorous, and not to mention there is half a chocolate bar waiting for me.

But I ventured out none the less, in hopes that something would catch me eye. It was actually surprisingly warm, so it wasn't half bad walking around in the snow. Just around the neighborhood, I started to look at all the trees and branches that were piled with snow. Everything was just white on top. The high trees actually looked like they had leaves on them there was so much snow. So maybe there's a picture there?

While I was experimenting under an evergreen, I happened to look up through a patch of branches that framed another tree perfectly. Instantly knew that was going to be my photo. The underside of the evergreen was nice and dark, which contrasted with the white conifer across the street.

My first exposure was 30s at f/11 and ISO100. Lots of depth in the focal field, so both the branches and the tree were in focus more or less. The long exposure allowed me to do some light painting on the branches first. I stood on the street and used my Maglite on the outsides of the branches, so that they would be rimmed with a bright glow, but not enough to take over the photo.

The rest of the exposures were light paintings of the tree. I couldn't get the whole thing in one go since my Maglite wasn't bright enough for f/11. But oh the joys of compositing.

Speaking of which, that's all I did for editing. Auto-align the layers in Ps, then just paint in the bright spots from each layer. That, and blend them together with the lighten blend mode. Ta da. All done.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment