Friday, November 28, 2014

Burning Clouds

My family and I went out to some of the island beaches today. I'm thinking about shooting the different beaches here for my photo final, since there's a lot of really beautiful ones here.

The final beach we ended up at was Dead Man's on the west side of the island. Don't know why it has that name..we arrived right at sunset, and I was scrambling to get a photo taken with the field camera. That thing takes a good five minutes from set up to when you can take a picture, and the sun waits for no one. I managed to catch the fading sunlight, and with a little time to spare! So why not shoot with another camera?

I pulled out my 7D and fired away. The water on the rocks was pretty interesting, but the clouds....oh the clouds. One of the best sunsets I've seen this winter, the clouds were lit up like fire in the sky. It was just glowing up there, and the dark blue clouds behind the glowing ones made for some real drama.

Many cloud shots are fairly flat. Not tonally flat, but specially flat. There's contrast in the clouds, but there's only one layer of clouds. No foreground, middle ground, or background. Yes, sometimes that's different, but not usually. The distance is just to great between you and the clouds that they all look the same. Only color can really separate them, tones sometimes can too, but it's not as apparent as color can be.

I shot at f/8, ISO100, and 1/100s. My lenses are not very sharp wide open, so I've been shooting at f/8 and f/11 more often. f/11 and f/16 are probably the sharpest, but f/8 gives 1-2 stops more light and I need that when shooting handheld and with a telephoto.

Framing for this, I just put it anywhere but in the exact center. Not much else you can do with that.

Editing was as follows.


What does it all mean??

Well, I brightened up the clouds, but kept the darks still dark. You can see from the sliders that most of the highlights got brightened, as well as the overall exposure. However, this brightened the darks too, and so I upped the contrast a bit to get those darks back, and to also make the whites a little brighter.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment