Sunday, August 3, 2014

What flavor? PIE FLAVOR

My sister made an epic pie today. Epic. I like pie. But before I got any, I had to take photos.

For said photos, the usual photo set up was used. With a few modifications. The lighting set up was opposite, so the fill light strobe was to the back and right pointed straight up to provide a very soft, semi directional fill. The other strobe was was to the front and left pointed to the wall to make a soft, but directional key/fill. The idea I was going for was to make a nice, white background and have the pie in very soft, wrapping light.

It worked out pretty well, it's really hard to tell how something is actually going to look when you get it on a big screen. What I would do differently next time is to ramp up the power output of the backlight strobe to make everything around the pie very white. You can still see the texture of the background and the front is fairly dark....  But that's okay! I still like it, it's a different style that I usually do.

For this time, I've tried to not focus on getting the whole pie in the shot as getting pieces or just bits in a composition that looks interesting. For this shot, I liked the composition of the utensils fill in the lower right, and the pie makes a nice circle for the rest of the upper left third. Shooting from a low angle helped to make the pie look big and full.

Editing...what did I do for editing. Whites up...both in over all tone and in a local adjustment around the white cloth. That's about it though. I was a little bummed I didn't get a better specular highlight in the utensils, but that's okay.


See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment