Thursday, August 7, 2014

Just a short jaunt on the beach

And by short, I mean a 3 mile run in sand with 20mph winds. Much fun :) A little annoying with sand in the shoes, but I can't complain with a run by the moonlight.

To explain, it was super windy today, and so the surf on the west side of the island was really big. There are some rocks way down the beach, and when the big waves hit them it shoots water everywhere.

But of course, by the time I ran all the way down there, the light was too low to take any good pictures of the spray. I need to use at least 1/500 and at 1/50 my ISO had to be at 3200...so not really a good combo. There's no way I could get to 1/500.

Change of plan. Shoot the water on the epic little rocks on the beach. Well, they were actually large rocks, and looked really cool with the water over them. I shot at ISO100, f5.6, 13s, and 100mm. I hiked up on a hill right next to the beach and shot down on the rocks. It took a little while to get the right composition since the rocks were spaced kinda odd. But I got some that I liked, the best one being of the rocks just above the water line and then a nice gradient down to the water. I love how the water swirls around and between the rocks.

For editing, I stretched the RAW as far as it would go. Shadows all the way up, highlights all the way down. Clarity all the way up. Contrast up. Whites up a lot. Vignette a little. Here's the before and after.



I love the first one, but the second is awesome too. But now seeing them together, I think I'll combine them and maybe do a photomatix version.


Turns out no photomatix, just taking the setting from the b/w, toning them down a bit and then making a color version. But I still like the b/w better.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment